Colombian Style Stuffed Potatoes2014-03-05
- Skill Level: hard
- Servings : 10 servings
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 1m
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 5 medium potatoes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sazon Goya with azafran
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ pound ground beef
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into chunks, put them in a medium pot and cover with water and ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and cook until fork tender about 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and mash with a fork or masher and set aside.
- Prepare the filling, in a large sauce pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat and add the onion, tomato, scallions, garlic, cumin, azafran, pepper and salt. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent, add the beef and cook stirring occasionally about 10 – 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl place all the batter ingredients and whisk until smooth and set aside.
- Divide the potato mash into 10 equal sized portions, about 1/3 cup each, and form each portion into a ball by rolling between the palms of your hands. Flatten into patties and place 1 ½ tablespoons of the filling in the center of each one. Shape the potato mixture with the filling into balls to enclose the filling completely.
- Fill a large heavy pot with vegetable oil and heat over medium-high heat to 360° F.
- Dip the stuffed potato into the batter and carefully place them in the hot oil and fry for about 4 minutes or until golden, turning over halfway through. Remove the potatoes from the oil using a slotted spoon and drain in a plate with paper towels. Transfer to a serving plate and serve with Ají.